Slips, Trips, and Falls
- Are there any cracked and/or uneven areas in the parking lots and walkways?
- Cracks that are ¼ inch or greater, or elevation changes greater than 1 inch, should be fixed immediately
- Are handrails and stairways in good condition?
- Inspect for any visible damage, such as wear and tear on stair treads or loose/deteriorating handrails
- Is there sufficient exterior lighting, including in all common areas, and are all lights in working order?
- Do you have enough deicing agent stored for use on exterior stairs, walkways, sidewalks and parking lots during ice and snow events
Water and Building Damage
- Do you see any deteriorated areas, developing cracks or bulges in the building’s structure?
- Are there any cracks or separation near the building’s doors and windows?
- Is there any standing water in/near the building or on the rooftop?
- Is there any indication of a water leak, such as discoloration on the walls, texture changes or signs of mold/mildew?
- Do you have the plumbing and roof inspected at least every two years and repaired as necessary?
- Is the pool completely fenced in compliance with local code and equipped with a self-latching device?
- Do you have life-saving equipment in place?
- Are there procedures in place to ensure only residents and their accompanied guests have access to the pool area?
- Are there any overgrown/dying trees or vegetation that need to be trimmed or removed?
- Are common areas (e.g., fitness centers, clubhouses, sport courts) well maintained?
- Do all indoor common areas have working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers?
- Is a log kept of all resident complaints and work requests, including what the outcome was of the complaint?
- Are there any outstanding complaints or work requests that have not been addressed?
- Is a record kept of regular (e.g., weekly, monthly) reviews made by board members and/or the property management company?
- Records of repairs and maintenance should include what was done, the amount paid, who performed the work, and certificates of insurance for the contractors hired